Sunday, November 15, 2009

Art inspires food

(Listening to: 'Golden Years' By David Bowie)

Do you remember your first art museum? The way each picture you looked at had a story. As you studied each painting, you could feel the mood of the artist. That the colors, texture, and picture all spoke to you- individually and as a whole, explaining to you who had created them. I will never forget the first time i saw a Jackson Pollock painting. My heartbeat sped up as my eyes traced the fluid lines he dripped. I put myself there, as he painted, in my mind. The splatters, the new colors, watching intently as wet paints bled together to create new designs never thought of.




It was a moment that stuck with me forever. He is one of my favorite artists to this day and I encourage anyone who can, to go see a piece of his work in person.
When I was researching pastry schools, I have to admit that i wasn't initially sold on the idea. Yes, I loved to cook and Yes, I loved to eat... but was that worth the tuition? Would I really be happy making the same old pastries forever?
When I began to research my new field though, i was thrilled to discover that the sky was the limit. I was entering the part of the culinary world that was fun. It was sassy and sexy and as long as you learned the techniques well, your desserts could be anything you wanted.




My sweetest boyfriend in the world surprised me recently with a trip to a brilliant art museum in Tulsa, Oklahoma. As you look at the pictures, try to gather inspiration from them. feel the mood and take in the colors and see if you can imagine a dessert from them. Thats what i did... and I had a ton of fun doing it.

Every house needs one of these

Are you envisioning a peach cobbler?

I know what you're thinking.... and yes. I posed for this.

I love how the clouds and the mountains mimic one another.

Marilyn Levine
"Spot's Suitcase"
Ceramic
Easily the most impressive piece we saw.

ITS FRIGGIN' CERAMIC!!!!! ALL OF IT!

Scott Fraser
"Crow Feet"
Oils
Do you love?? Do you LOVE??
I do too.

James Valerio
"Bed"
Oils
This is phenomenal. To paint this well is my dream. It looks like a photograph!

Rackstraw Downes
"Rainwater Ditch with Six Culvert Bridge"
Oils

Toast anyone?
Seriously, this toaster was in the museum. I sort of want it.

My backyard.
Just thought i would toss that picture in there.

My other courtyard.

Pierre Bazzanti
"Three Graces"
Marble
I wonder what each Grace's last name is...?

Harriet Whitney Frishmuth
"Joy Of The Waters"
Bronze

Are you still picturing desserts? Because that would be weird.

Harriet Whitney Frishmuth
"Call of the Sea"
Bronze
I didn't know they caught me riding that fish!

Unknown Artist
"Virgin with the Christ Child"
Terracotta with some Polychrome

Simple and beautiful. Lets go to Rome now and see the rest. Who's with me?

Hugo Robus
"Maternity"
Bronze with Gold Patina
If she is sucking off that baby's face.... she isn't being very maternal..... Just sayin'

Raoul Dufy
"Environs of Cagnes"
Oils
He spent most of his time and effort on the clouds.

William Bouguereau
"The Little Shepherdess"
Oils

Hauntingly beautiful.

Paul Jenkins
"Phenomena Break Silk"
Acrylic

Hey that really is me!
I look like a boy from the back.
That's sad.

Incredible texture.

My last thoughts before I leave you this time, dear readers, is that I hope you find art everywhere. That you stop and see life through an artists eyes. And that next time you are being served a beautiful dessert- whether it be simple, or elaborate, that you see what could be.
Until I get have enough time to write one of these long freaking posts again, Catch you on the flip side, yo!
S. George

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading your Blog, Stephanie...you are so funny too. I also love what you said about your Grandmother, I was one of those people that felt very fortunate to have known her...she was quite a unique person who I will always remember the fun times I had with her and working with her.

    Take Care,
    Miss Bonnie

    ReplyDelete